The German Turkish Masters Program in Social Sciences (GeT MA) and “Blickwechsel. Contemporary Turkey Studies”, a framework program by Stiftung Mercator, invite to a discussion of the state of democracy in Turkey.
Democracy in Turkey is facing severe challenges: political polarization and (war on) terror increasingly contest rights and freedom for society as a whole. At the same time, the European Union emphasizes the role of Turkey as regional power and strategic partner, as war in Iraq and Syria continues to expel millions of people. What are the impacts of Europe’s new approach towards Turkey on the domestic political situation? Does the absolute majority of AKP in the parliament keep its promise of securing stability in the country and on what terms?
The following Panelists will discuss the topic:
– Prof. Dr. Bilgin Ayata (Universität Basel)
– Dr. Barış Çakmur (Middle East Technical University)
– Dr. Dilek Kurban (Hertie School of Governance)
– Dr. Deniz Yonucu (Alexander von Humboldt Fellow)
The event will be hosted by:
– Prof. Dr. Silvia von Steinsdorff (Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin)
– Prof. Dr. Gökçe Yurdakul (Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin)
Wednesday, 6th of January 2016, 6.00 p.m.
Geschwister-Scholl-Straße 3, 10117 Berlin